Chronicles of Oklahoma
Volume 6, No. 1
JOHN M. (JACK) BARKER, son of Edmund and Sarah Wood Barker, was born at Mendota, Virginia, October 22, 1852, but when he had attained his majority he moved to Illinois and later to Missouri. From there he moved to Oklahoma and in 1891 homesteaded a farm southwest of El Reno, where he lived until his death, November 11, 1927. Mr. Barker was interested in public matters, having served sixteen years on school boards, was a member of the house of representatives during the sixth and seventh sessions and in the senate during the ninth and tenth sessions, and also vice-president of the State Farmers Union. He was married in 1875 to Miss Frances Farrell, who with their three daughters, Mrs. J. N. Wright, Miss Ada and Miss Jessie, survive him. He was a member of the Evangelical Church..
The eventful career of Price Cochran, of Hulbert, Oklahoma, aged 84, has come to an end. Member in Civil war days of the federal Indian brigade, Cochran for several years had been one of the few surviving veterans of the organization. A deputy sheriff of the old Tahlequah district more than 40 years ago, he eventually became a Baptist minister, but more recently became connected with the Presbyterian church and preached at intervals to the native Indians.
For a decade Cochran had been the custodian of the Keetoowah flag, a historical and valued relic. Interment was made in a picturesque burial place at Lost City, some miles north of Hulbert, where a number of pioneers and veterans are buried.
An eloquent address in the Cherokee language was delivered by the Rev. John Tahquette, while hymns were sung by a choir composed of Cherokee men and women. Although Cochran was entitled to a grave in the United States national cemetery at Fort Gibson, he preferred to be laid at rest among his fellow countrymen.
CHARLES OLIVER FRYE, born November 2nd, 1854, died August 17th, 1913, at Sallisaw, Oklahoma; son of Edward M. Frye, a man of German descent, and his mother was Nancy Puppy, a three-fourths blood Cherokee Indian. He practiced law before the courts of the Cherokee Nation, as well as being admitted to the bar of the State of Oklahoma. His principal occupation, however, was given to farming and cattle industry. In his twenty-first year he was elected clerk of Sequoyah District, Indian Territory and in 1883 was elected to the Cherokee Senate; served one term and was again elected in 1892. He was also President of the Board of Education of the Cherokee Nation from 1885 to 1897 inclusive. He also served a number of terms as a member of the Town
Council of the Town of Sallisaw as well as being member of the Board of Education of said town for a number of terms. He also served as Post Master of Sallisaw from May 7th, 1897 to 1906, and was again appointed Post Master and served from 1910 to the date of his death. He was also a member of the Constitutional Convention, having been elected upon the republican ticket from Sequoyah District.
In 1877 he was married to Eliza J. Thornton, from which marriage one son was born, named Edward Moses Frye, who is now practicing law in the city of Sallisaw. His wife soon afterwards died and on December 28, 1886 was married to Sadie A. Quesenbury of Sallisaw, Indian Territory, daughter of A. Quesenbury, founder of the town of Sallisaw. From this second marriage the following were born, who are all now living: Lee Roy Frye, Sallisaw, Oklahoma; Argyle (Dick) Frye, San Pedro, California; J. Raymond Frye, Fort Smith, Arkansas; Charles O. Frye, Sallisaw, Oklahoma; Pliny Soper Frye, Sallisaw, Oklahoma; Katherine Kramer, nee Frye, Ponca City, Oklahoma; Mamie Smith, nee Frye, Tulsa, Oklahoma; Harriett B. Frye, Sallisaw, Oklahoma; Thomas T. Frye, Sallisaw and William Watie Frye, Sallisaw, Oklahoma.
He was a member of the Masonic Lodge of the City of Sallisaw, and also the I. O. O. F. of the city of Sallisaw, Oklahoma.
CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS MATHIES, son of William Henry Mathies and Ann Alford Mathies, born May 3, 1850, at Gadsden, Etowah County, Alabama. Died January 7, 1915, at Wister, LeFlore County, Oklahoma. At age of 13, when nothing but a stripling of a boy he sought service in the Confederate Army, joining Lundens Battery at Mobile, Alabama, and participated in the battle of Missionary Ridge and other important engagements. He was wounded at Mobile and reported as dead. On May 9, 1865, he was paroled at Meridian, Mississippi, then being a private in Lundens Battery, Williams Regiment Light Artillery C. S. A. Having had no educational advantages, but realizing the need of same he worked his way through school in Smithville, Mississippi.
In 1872, soon after reaching his majority, he came to Hartford, Arkansas, and taught school for three years. In 1875 he married Almeda Killen, who was a citizen by marriage of the Choctaw Nation, and settled on a farm at Monroe, Indian Territory, but she lived only about a year. In 1879 he was again married to Ocy Woodson, who died July 4, 1883. Of this union were born two children, one now living, Mrs. M. L. Harris, of Wister, Oklahoma. In 1884 he was again married to Annie Carnall, of Fort Smith, Arkansas. Six children were born in this wedlock, all of whom, including the widow, survive him, the children being as follows, towit: Mrs. D. C. McCurtain, Poteau, Oklahoma; Henry, who is in the Civil Service at Texarkana, Arkansas; Mrs. E. E. Taylor, of Little Rock; Paul, of Poteau, at present County Commissioner of LeFlore County; Woodson, of Wister, Oklahoma, Cashier of the First State Bank; Wharton, of Clayton, Oklahoma, Cashier of the Clayton State Bank.
Captain Mathies, as he was familiarly known, was a farmer-stockman, but served in many official positions. He resided at Monroe from 1875 until 1910, when he removed to Wister, where he resided until his death. During President Clevelands first administration he was appointed Postmaster, succeeding Monroe Griffith, the first Postmaster at that place,
the post-office having been named for him. He served for about twenty years. He was also clerk of the Choctaw County court, and assisted in the payment of the Choctaw Net Proceeds Funds in that immediate section. He was elected and served as a delegate from District No. 100 to the Oklahoma Constitutional Convention, and on the erection of the State, was for two successive terms representative from LeFlore County in the House of the Oklahoma Legislature, and afterwards served two terms as County Commissioner in said countyactive in both church and civic affairs, he served in many official capacities in party organizations, both prior and after statehood, he being a democrat. He served as member of the official board of the local M. E. Church, South, and was frequently a delegate to the District and Annual Conferences of said church.
DON P. WILLS, born in Carlinville, Illinois, March 4, 1891; son of M. N. Wills and his wife, Susie Wills; educated in the common schools at Lamar, Missouri. At close of Civil War, with his parents, he moved to Barton County, Mo. After reaching his majority he resided in Colorado, and afterwards, a short time, in Crawford County, Kansas. In 1881 he was married to Emma Loper. They had the following children: Carl Wills; Roy T. Wills; Bess E. Wills; Hazel M. Wills; and Mark M. Wills. He settled at Miami, Indian Territory, in May, 1898, and resided there until his death August 12th, 1823, and is buried at Miami. His wife and all of his children survive him; also a brother, William Wills, and a sister, Mrs. J. M. Warden, both living in California. Though never an office seeker, he frequently served in municipal offices and as member of the school board, at Miami, being a member of the board which built the first public school building in the Indian Territory. He was elected and served as a member of the Constitutional Convention for the State of Oklahoma from District No. 60.
JOHN H. SEGER73 years old, founder and former superintendent of the Seger Training school, died in Colony February 6, 1928. Mr. Seger came to Oklahoma the year 1872 as superintendent of the Indian school located at Colony, which position he held for twelve years. He formed Seger Colony in Washita County, in 1885. We are not advised as to the date of his birth, but he was a native of Illinois.
Mr. Seger was identified with the Dutch Reformed church, and was buried from that church Wednesday, February 8th, 3 p. m. in the Federal Cemetery. At the time of his death he had been retired for a period of six years. His wife, Mrs. Mary E. Seger, two daughters, Miss Bessie, and Mrs. Lena Cronk, both of Colony, and five sons, Neatha, of Geary; Jessa M. of Colony; James O., of Seminole, Harry, of Quincy, Illinois, and John, of Moorehaven, Florida survive him. Mr. Seger was a good citizen and a good man. He will be missed from the state as well as from the community in which he lived.
JAMES I. WOOD, son of William S. and Melinda Coker Wood, born February 3, 1850, in Marion County, Arkansas. Died February 10, 1918,
and is buried near Scipio, Oklahoma. His youth was passed on his fathers farm. In 1873 he removed to Comanche County, Texas, and after having lived there twenty years as a successful farmer located near Scipio, Choctaw Nation in 1906, in which year he was elected from District 89 as and served as a delegate to the constitutional convention. At the erection of the state he was elected county treasurer of Pittsburg County and reelected in 1910, serving two terms, and afterwards he was elected mayor of McAlester in 1915 and reelected, serving two terms. In Marion County, Arkansas, March 26, 1872, he was married to Cynthia A. Dobbs and the widow and the following children survive him: Ada Granthum, Burr Wood, L. S. Wood, Mamie Wood and Leota Wingrove. Another son, J. W. Wood is dead. His paternal grandfather, Thomas B. Wood, coming from White County, Tennessee, settled in Arkansas when it was a territory, and married Elizabeth Talbot, dying in Marion County about 1851. His paternal great grandfather, William Wood, a soldier in the War of 1812, died in Marion County, Arkansas in 1862 or 1863. The children of his grandfather, Thos. B Wood and grandmother, Elizabeth Halbott were William S., Fred T., Benton and John W., and four daughters, all of whom married. His father, William S. Wood was a Confederate soldier, being in Gen. Jo Shelbys command. He was also sheriff of Marion County, Arkansas, from the years 1850 to 1854. The children of Wm. S. Wood and Melinda Coker Wood were as follows: Thomas B., Sylvester, Fred T., Frank, William S., Arminta, who married James Magnus and Maggie who married Robert McAdams. Cypthia A. Dobbs, the wife of James I. Wood, was the daughter of Jonathan Dobbs.
MRS. ANNA LOUISE GOLDSBY WINTER was born in Louisiana, June 24th, 1852. After a lingering illness she fell asleep on December 24th at Durant, to awake no more on earth, in the seventy fifth year of her useful life.
Mrs. Winter came with her family to Indian Territory when she was a small girl thirteen years old. They lived in Atoka County, and her father, Dr. G. W. Goldsby was one of the pioneer physicians of that part of the Territory. She with her family were some of the charter members of the first Baptist church organized in that county.
The family moved to what is now known as Bryan County in 1867. Mrs. Winter married B. F. Colbert, September 29th, 1871. The ceremony was performed by Rev. J. S. Murrow of Atoka, her first pastor and friend, who still lives in Atoka. Nine children were born to this union. Three of whom are living. Mrs. Will Baker of Tulsa, Mrs. Wyatt Hawkins of Gulfport, Miss., and Richard Colbert who lived with her.
For many years they lived at the old Colbert home near Red River, known as River Side. A more hospitable home was not known in the Indian Territory.
Mr. Colbert died March 11th, 1903. A few years later she married Mr. G. A. Winter of Tenn., who made Durant his headquarters.
Mrs. Winter was a devoted Christian, and was ever ready to lend a helping hand to those in need. Her charming manner endeared her to all who knew her. Her life was one of kind deeds, acts of charity and work for her Master. For twenty-five years she was the President of her Missionary Society. Never would she let any thing interfere with her
church work. For many years she was an active member of the Order of the Eastern Star. She held many of the Indian Territory offices in the Grand Chapter. Her membership was in Paucaunly Chapter at Colbert.
Another saintly soul has answered the final summons. A beloved pioneer of Old Indian Territory has gone from our midst. But her influence for good will remain with us a part of our heritage.
Czarina C. Conlan.
JUDGE CHARLES A. PHILLIPS, son of Dabney Pettus Phillips and Jane Evelyn Fisher (Phillips), both born in Virginia, was born in Grenada, Mississippi, June 4, 1844, and died at Durant, Oklahoma, February 7, 1926. He received his education in the common schools, and at the outbreak of the Civil War enlisted in the Confederate army, Standard Battery, Mississpippi Regiment and served until the war was over. He was wounded in the battle of Murfreesboro, while serving in the division of Albert Sidney Johnston. He studied law at Philadelphia and was admitted to the bar in Grenada, in 1870. In December, 1872, he was married to Kate J. Tunstall daughter of Capt. Thomas T. Tunstall, of Jacksonport, Arkansas. He was always active in politics, having served as County Judge and Special Circuit Judge in Arkansas. In 1902 they moved to Durant, Indian Territory, and beginning with statehood he served as County Judge of Bryan County until January, 1911. He was a Royal Arch Mason, an Odd Fellow, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He is survied by his widow and six children, Mrs. Laura A. Watters, Los Angeles, Cal., Mrs. Blanche Horton, Monte Ne, Ark.. Victor C. Phillips, Durant, Oklahoma, Harold Phillips, Seattle, Wash., Warren B. Phillips, Wewoka, Okla., and Mrs. Mary Phillips Moye, Kingfisher, Okla. Judge Phillips was a member of Stanfords Battery, Heavy Artillery, enlisting from Grenada, Miss. He was a private and served four years, 61 to 65.